Friday, September 10, 2010

Run w/ Garmin Forerunner 201 [09/09/2010]

After a couple of failed attempts to get hold of a GPS watch, I finally got the Garmin Forerunner 201 on Craigslist. I don't think anything can beat the FR201 for $25! Lets see how it works out. No more hoping that the LYR app would not conk out. No more hoping that the battery does not give up on me. No more craning the neck to see how I am making out on the timing.
This is how it looks on my wrist:
Went through the manual and took it out for a quick run. The reviews say that the satellite reception could be a little dicey. Lets see what I find.
A lot of features. A LOT more than the free LYR app at least. You can have it beep if you were to go faster or slower than preset paces. Beep at particular distances. The display is big and clear. Just the 3 numbers I am interested in - Time, pace and distance. Then there's the running assistant that you program to run a preset distance at a certain pace and that lets you know if you are leading or behind the virtual guy. And then you can have the return to start that points out Neat! I am impressed. Apart from the missing heart rate monitor (which I have not use as of now), I don't see why I would need anything else.
So I strap that on and take off for a 'round the block' run. It was getting pretty dark. The mileage matched that of Google maps very accurately! And so did the Go Back to Start feature. Accurate within 8ft! Am just love-stuck. LOL
Anyways, here's the data for yesterday:
Date: 09/09/2010 7:30 PM
Type: Run (Tempo run)
Distance: 3.12 miles
Time: 0 hr 28 min 05 secs
Average pace: 9:00 min/miles
Route: 2.8M @ Mnmt Rndm Hls Fairfax
Route link: http://www.logyourrun.com/showroute/K8fyxFbd32Pn7y
Shoes: Vibram FiveFingers
Calories: 419




Looking forward to better performance henceforth. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment