Tuesday, September 14, 2010

In touch with nature trails - my foot! [09/12/2010]

A very pleasant day. It was raining in the morning. So I took off at about 10am to Accotink trail. Well stocked on water and got a Powerbar for just in case.
Had 16M in the agenda.
Started off very well. Turned on the training assistant with pace of 9min/mile.
Unbelievably beautiful trail. Imagine sighting deer standing less than 10ft away. Wish I had my phone to take a snap.
At ~5M the trail turns rugged. The paved trail is no more. I felt pretty okay initially with my VFF. And then it started getting a little uncomfortable. At about 7M, my respect for BareFoot Ted increased 10 fold...or maybe more! The rubble was pretty sharp and strangely enough, my right sole was taking the brunt of all the sharpies. Very strange. It seemed like the left leg was completely 'blind'.
Least did I know that that leg had something else in store for me.
At about 8M the IT band on the left leg started acting up. And boy! Did it hurt. It was sheer will power that I could even back track the route. Well, did not have any other option, did I? All the stretching and resting in the world did not help. And then the trail gashing my soles...was not fun in the remotest sense.
Boy! Was I glad to have reached back to the car.
I have been icing, stretching and straping the left IT band like crazy. Lets see if the strapping and strengthening helps and I will post those solutions in one of my later posts.
While all this is going on, I have been having serious doubts on my ability to complete the marathon. Meeting my target time of 4hrs is the least of my worries. I am worried if I will even be able to finish it. I have a half marathon coming up this weekend in Philadelphia. Lets see how I feel after that. This is not nice news!
Date: 09/12/2010 10:00 AM
Type: Run (Long run)
Distance: 16.39 miles
Time: 2 hr 26 min 00 secs
Average pace: 8:54 min/miles
Route: 16M on Accotink Trail
Route link: http://www.logyourrun.com/showroute/YFBiCkol74bsgg
Shoes: Vibram FiveFingers


No comments:

Post a Comment